supplementary notes

for my benefit

Friday, May 04, 2007

⇒ spidey 3...the end!

-WARNING SPOILERS WITHIN-

saw Spidey 3 last nite...was too tired to blog right away...pretty good...a lot of very dramatic developments...I think this was spidey's most personal battle--almost everything important to him in his life was riding on the outcome of the final battle. Only Aunt May was safe in this movie--there was no threat to her at any point in the movie.

There was a lot of complexity too--especially with Harry Osborne. By the end (before the conclusion), you are torn inside with mixed feelings towards Harry. Overall, I thought the movie was too full--the Eddie Brock/Venom part happened too quick--that's one of my biggest gripes with the Venom character--that and suddenly getting ALL of Spidey's powers. And his relationship with MJ took a battering. Their feelings for each other were so complex, that while saving her was not in doubt, they really had trouble forgiving each other (and Spidey forgiving himself).

These lines were not spoken in this movie but the still resonate with it:
With great power comes great responsibility

Sometimes, to do what is right, we have to give up the things we want the most--even our dreams

We have to forgive each other, or everything we ever were will mean nothing


I thoroughly enjoyed the battles (and there were many):
New Goblin/Peter
Spidey/Crane
Spidey/Sandy
Black Spidey/Sandy
Bad Pete/New Goblin
Bad Pete roughing up Goons & Brock
Peter/Symbiote
Sandy/Venom (more of a scuffle)
Peter & Harry/Venom & Sandy (big battle)

An overwhelming sadness enveloped me at the end. Not only was it possibly the last (likely the last Spidey with a Maguire, Raimi, Dunst & Franco collaboration--though probably not the last Spidey--Sony's gonna milk this franchise til it bleeds) Spidey movie. It's just like the way I felt when Star Wars Episode 3's credits ran. A bit of denial ("no, this can't be the end!"). I need something worthwhile to look forward to. It's difficult to describe my exact feelings.

In the end, I did enjoy the movie. Overall not as large an improvement on Spidey 2 as Spidey 2 was on Spidey 1. But still good.

I dunno, strange, complex feelings inside me. I need more time to conclude my comments and right now I'm swamped with my graduation and assignments and work.

I'll get back to you later.

Labels: ,

♥♣♦♠