supplementary notes

for my benefit

Friday, June 29, 2007

⇒ transformers-a michael bay film

saw transformers...not bad. It did exceed my expectations but unfortunately, I don't care much for the direction they've taken the tranformers universe...for starters, less humans, more 'bots.

secondly, only transformers should be able to kill other transformers--this isn't a private ryan/black hawk down/boy and his robot movie. "You have one token human, then you make way for the fucking robots!"

thirdly, why did megatron only start to get involved at the end? He should have been active from frame 1 and bickering with starscream through the whole movie!

fourth: the designs, while cutting edge and apparently 'real', don't make 'visual sense' to me. Sometimes, such as the Prime/Decepticon rumbles, I don't have a clue what I'm looking at. Seriously, is it an arm, leg, chest, grille? I don't know!?!? That's part of the reason the original designers kept the simplified approach.

fifth: that stupid lil robot spy. Make him go away early. He's not charming, endearing or humorous. Why is he getting more screen time that Megatron?!?!?

sixth: Optimus Prime's lips. wtf?!?!?!? To convey emotion, all can be achieved through the eyes. That's right, eyes. Or body language. Did they speak in the silent film era? No, they emoted through body langauge and other forms of expression. But I guess the Bay-meister's limited understanding of proxy-emoting led to this

seventh: the design--I disagree, I reckon the original designs WOULD'VE worked on film. Keep Prime the flat-front truck, mass-shift here and there and thuans-my-uncle. Look at those citroen ads, I'd rather see that type of design than the overdone, cluster-mess-bots they presented. Starscream has chicken legs?!?!?!

8th: If you're not gonna make bots the right size due to you're hesitation towards 'mass shifting', then don't mass-shift a friggin 'Allspark' cube the size of a small building into a form-factor convenient enough for the 'hero' to carry! Double-standards, man, double standards...

9th: the personality types--what a mess. Bumblebee is amongst the bravest autobots, but by no means is he the toughest--or even a good fighter. And Jazz--omg, what a mess, a jive-talkin' caricature that's supposed to be 'cool'...these guys should have consulted pixar about 'personality': how to create one! Even a few minutes with the pixar crew could've saved indellible embarrassment.

10th: product placement whores! Bumblebee should be a VW beetle. Don't give me that herbie-comparison BS. Herbie don't transform, plain and simple. Make camaro go away!!!

that's all i can think of for now. While I was entertained--by no means was I happy with what they did to a world strongly interwined with my childhood...also, there's no replayability to this movie. Saw it once, don't care to see it again...

in short: the original movie (animated) was better, more epic and superior.

Labels: ,

♥♣♦♠