supplementary notes

for my benefit

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

⇒ SSFIV: my thoughts


the focus-attack-cancel-dash system is the strong part, but the the implementation/execution of the actual 'focus attack' itself is in my opinion, flawed; inferior to 3rd strike's parrying system, too.
I'd say the SSFIV's fighting engine as a whole is close to SSF2T and SF alpha 2's alpha counter

Focus-system Pros:

  • easy to execute (just MP + MK when not getting thrashed)

  • EX-cancel leads to alot of possibilities

  • about abstractly controlling the 'space', like SF2 series

  • juggling & target combos from SF3 series



Cons:

  • slow to execute (3rd strike's parrying is a simple tap towards or down)

  • no air countering (?) -- very poor indeed. This translates into jump in the air and immediately get killed by opponent. What is the countermeasure for when airborne? I can't see it anywhere in-game

  • small 'dash' -- why is the dashing in this game so inefficient? It takes about 5 dashes just to cross the screen!

  • extreme fireball vulnerability -- 3S' parrying nullified fireballs completely, SSFIV makes spamming fireballs effective again

  • somewhat defeated by quick jabs -- jab to activate opponent's counter attack then jab again to interrupt all but fully charged focus attack, and even then you'll see it coming miles away

  • no rock-paper-scissors; in 3S it was strike-parry-grapple, what is it in SSFIV?

  • Focus attack closer in resemblance to alpha-counter. Also, why does it crumple the other guy? Parrying leaves the other guy wide open without effectively 'freezing' them, making for more fluid and exciting matches. If you successfully parry, it doesn't guarantee damage to the opponent.

  • can you successfully use Focus attack/counter with zero health? Watch the Daigo vid again (embedded below) and tell me, could something this exciting and insane happen under SSFIV's Focus-attack system? I think you get KO'd if you try to focus attack with zero health...

  • What is the distinction between a Super Combo and an Ultra Combo? Amount of damage? Why even have both in the game, now you've got regular moves, command moves, special moves, EX special moves, Super combos and Ultra Combos? Not enough distinction between them. Don't call it 'strategic' because the EX-bar has only one use, I mean, what else are you going to save the EX bar for? Having both in the game, you could pull off a Special, then Super immediately followed by an Ultra, whereas in 3S you had to plan ahead and maybe you'll have enough meter to get you an EX attack followed by a Super Art. Additionally, the input for Ultra combos (typically involves PPP or KKK input) feels so ham-fisted.



other cons:

  • no beautiful 2D frame-by-frame animation (in-game)

  • comical tone; 3S was about kicking ass and breaking faces

  • unenthusiastic vocal performances -- compare soundbytes (same goes for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom). Same with the music--not memorable or on par with SF2, 3S, Alpha 2 or even MvC2.

  • weak storyline animation -- 3rd Strike had moving art; IV feels so cheap

  • lacking originality -- the 3 series was all about reinvention via new characters and overhauled fight system (only Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Akuma are from other SF games, making for a 16:20 originality ratio) while SSFIV only has a 8:35 originality ratio (Gouken, Seth, Abel, Rufus, Viper, El Fuerte, Juri and Hakan), and Seth and Viper suck.

  • Seth = the suck. What a cheap basterd. 3S's Gill could be taken to town by mastery of the parrying system (even without, he's still quite beatable), while Seth is just a lazy 'has-every-character's-moves' character. Just cheap without redemption.

  • grading system only after vs human match. The grading system in 3S kept me coming back for more!

  • no 'bash the other guy for a bit after KO' -- how else am I supposed to rub salt into wounds; to enjoy sweet victory?




You would have called me a hypocrite for bagging the SFIV games without having thoroughly played before; I held out for 12+ months but now with all the buzz, I had to see for myself. I've played a fair amount and must say, for me, 3rd Strike's still the best. I'll give SSIV more time to reveal it's depth though. I can already see the EX-focus cancel is the door to crazy combos.

Why is everyone praising SSFIV so much? I appreciate that it revived fighting game interest but really feel this is a step backwards--the 3D just don't feel 'right' and the fight mechanics are closer to SF2 than 3S. I'm not saying remake 3S (just release it on PSN in Australia, pixellation and all) but I really feel the engine, though not broken, it ain't right. One thought I had was to implement a combo breaker of some type--an evolution of red-parrying, if you will. I know it sounds cheap but why not reward those good enough to execute it? Red-parrying isn't easy, either.

Note: if 3rd strike were on PSN (or my Dreamcast still worked -- RIP good buddy), I'd still be playing it and probably wouldn't have bought SSFIV. Yes, I think 3rd Strike is that good. Played it regularly from 2002-2006 and intermittently in other years. I got Guilty Gear and BlazBlue:Calamity Trigger-review forthcoming. 3rd Strike, my great white buffalo...

end rant, as promised Daigo vid:

Labels: , , ,

♥♣♦♠