supplementary notes

for my benefit

Friday, August 01, 2008

⇒ new phone!

comments about the c902 (thus far):
fantastic handset, very slim, sleek and classy design. .
The design also has a

Pros: 1.Shape--such an upgrade from the K750i. I barely feel it in my front pocket of my flat-front trousers. Additionally, ever since the boom of 'sliders' and now 'touch' style phones, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find a really special 'candybar' phone. This model strangely enough still manages to incorporate some features of both 'sliders' and 'touch' phones. I picked the c902 over the g900 or most others
2. Operating system--again, an enormous leap between this and the K750i. They've reorganized everything into slightly more coherent categories. The software plays VERY NICE with Mac OS X 10.3.9, while K750i didn't. Add to that, it's got flight mode and can set multiple profiles (USB mass storage, phone mode, etc.) and it's a winner.
3. Media player--very pleasing to the eye and simple interface which doesn't sacrifice control.
4. Feature rich--alot of functions and capabilities, and keep in mind this isn't a 'smartphone', but it will do more than I'm probably capable of using. For comparison, I probably only used about 70% of the features on my K750i, as compared to 90% on the Samsung E700 and 99% on the Nokia 8310.
5. Processor--fast enough to throwdown 5MP photos in 1s. Powerful enough to run 3D gaming. But of course, I'm greedy--I want more speed, more power! MOAR!
6. Everything in the box--charger, booklet, support CD, USB connector, hand's free, the gang's all here. Straight out of the box, you get everything you need. Only need to spend if you really want to kick it into wireless headset/8GB memory/etc. Did I mention the charger has a pass-thru port so you can plug in more than one thing at a time? How about a standard 3.5mm jack included in the handsfree? Sweet. Oh and the box itself is super sleek--they've really outdone themselves in terms of product design.

Cons: 1. No dedicated 'media' button--K750i could start playing music with a single touch without looking at the device. I gotta go thru 3-4 menus to start music now.
2. No flashlight function (or I haven't figured it out yet). Really? Why remove one of the best/most practical functions of a LED-bearing phone? People tout 'Xenon', but I can't miss it if I've never had it.
3. Dust collecting flaw: the planes where edges meet always and very easily collect a lot of dust. Beats the K750i though--the gaping hole around its 'joystick' let dust run rampant into the unreachable areas of the phone's screen.
4. Numeric buttons are almost too 'tight' though--should've used smaller buttons and given breathing room in-between, like the K810 or perhaps W890i

in-between: 1. The touch interface is a very nice gimmick, but I don't feel I'll be relying on it too much.
2. Battery cover. WTF?!? Why is it so gddmn hard to remove? Sure, the battery won't be falling out, but I can't quickly switch my SIM without using a watchmaker's toolkit!
3. The camera. Being branded a 'Cyber-shot' brings certain expectations, especially on the back of K750i's goodwill. The camera thus far has been both good and bad. The good? FAST. 5MP snaps in 1s. It's about 5-10s faster than K750i's 2MP shooter; more control over settings; faster processing and playback. the bad? photo resolution somewhat blunt--it lacks the sharpness of the K750i I'm accustomed to. I rarely fiddled with K750i's settings to get good-great photos. I guess there's a learning curve to getting good pics with this 5MP shooter (I hope!)

To be realistic, we are talking about a camera phone (I guess the K750i was f#cken exceptional in it's time!), and that the phone is 10.5mm thick, yet houses a 5MP? Crazy!

Keep in mind this is my experience with it THUS FAR (3 days). Maybe my opinion of certain things will change as time goes on.

Labels: , ,

♥♣♦♠